An introduction to the role of the Governing Body:
Function and purpose
School governors have a legal responsibility to conduct the school with a view to promoting high standards of educational achievement. Governing bodies have three key roles: setting strategic direction, ensuring accountability and monitoring and evaluation.
The Education Act 2002 gave rise to four main areas of change for governors: constitution, procedures, new powers and collaboration/federation. The Act sets out key principles, but most of the detail is covered in regulations and guidance.
Governing body responsibilities include:
- Setting strategic direction, objectives, targets and policies.
- Reviewing progress against the budget, plans and targets.
- Approving the school budget.
- Acting as a critical friend to the head teacher by providing support and challenge.
- Appointing a head teacher.
Who are represented on the governing body?
Governing bodies are made up of key stakeholders:
- Parents - parent governors are elected by other parents at the school.
- Staff, including the head teacher - staff i.e. teaching and other staff, governors are elected by the school staff.
- The community - the governing body appoints community governors i.e. members of the community.
- The Local Authority (LA) - the LA appoints one or more local education authority (LEA) governors.
We have a clerk to the Governing Body. The Clerk is not a governor. If you wish to send correspondence to the clerk please do so by addressing it thus:
Clerk to the Governing Body, c/o The Raglan Schools. Raglan Road. EN1 2RG.
Secure Member Area
Governors may login to the secure member area from the login tab on the foot of any page or here
Current Governors, as at July 2011
The current members of the Governing Body:
Chairman of Governors
Mrs Anna Williams
Ms E Abe
Mr A Adetula
Ms J Vodden
Miss D Cutts
Mrs H McIsaac-Hall
Mrs A Williams (Chairman of Governors)
Mrs L Bavetta (Vice Chair, SEN governor)
Mrs D Fleming
Miss A Ashton
Mrs S Bocas
Mrs A Socratous, Teacher
Mrs S Green, Support Staff
Mr Kelsey (Headteacher)
Mrs S Kyriacou, Teacher
Any correspondence should be addressed c/o the School Office, office staff organise delivery of correspondence to the Governing Body.